- Course Fee: New Launch Offer - €998 (for all 8 modules) - Time Limited Offer.
- Award: FETAC Level 6 Major Award in Early Childhood Care & Education (6M2007)
- Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by: FETAC
- All course materials are provided.
- Students must complete eight Modules - see below.
- Students are given ample time (12 months/52 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
Some of the many benefits of studying with us on this course:
Click below to Enrol for this course online now with your Credit or Debit Card
- Pricing: Best Value in the Marketplace so - Why Pay more for the same FETAC Award?
- All student fees for this Major Award are fully secured and protected by a Bank Guarantee.
- Interest Free Easy Payment Plan available with this course. »Click here for further details.
- Study at your own time and pace.
- We only offer FETAC awards thus ensuring high Quality and Standards.
- Work placement Insurance can be covered by us in certain circumstances. Ask for details.
- Garda Vetting service available.
- Group Discounts Available.
Enrol over the phone by contacting us on 01 206 1828»
The Early Childhood Care and Education Level 6 Major award programme - 6M2007 will provide learners with the knowledge, skill and competence to work as autonomous practitioners and to lead and supervise others in the provision of quality early childhood care and education in a variety of ECCE settings, whether working in a day care nursery, crèche, pre-school / after school facility or with families as a professional childminder.
The programme meets the educational requirements as set out for the Government’s Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) scheme introduced in 2009. The ECCE requires that at least one person in each childcare centre or crèche has this qualification. It will provide a major boost to your career prospects if you are interested in developing a career in childcare.
Learners will complete a total of 8 modules to achieve the award. On completion of the award learners will have the option of progressing to higher education and training opportunities. Subject to certain specific requirements this course can be used through the CAO to apply for a third level degree course in a related discipline. Please see below for further details.
In addition to being valuable for staff working in childcare environments, the modules within this course provide valuable information and important skills to learners and to others involved in the informal provision of childcare and childhood developmenta and with flexible study options it is suitable for those with family/work commitments who are unable to attend lectures.
About the Early Childhood Scheme
(ECCE) is a government funded initiative offering a free pre-school year in an early education centre. Part of the requirements of the scheme, stipulate that Childcare Leaders and employees must hold certain qualifications in order to qualify for the scheme. The certification offered by this programme fully meets the educational requirements for childcare staff. For pre-school practitioners to avail of the ordinary capitation rate for the ECCE scheme which was introduced in January 2010, the pre-school leader should hold a Major Award in the relevant area at Level 5. Full details on the qualification requirements for the ordinary and higher rate of capitation are set out on the Department of Children and Youth Affairs website.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Develop an understanding of the interdependency of all domains of child development and its impact on early childhood education and care practice.
- Acquire an understanding of early childhood programmes.
- Develop an awareness of social and legal issues which relate directly to and impact on early childhood education and care settings.
- Enhance theirprofessional communication skills to promote effective interaction with all stakeholders.
This distance learning, FETAC accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification. Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. If students require extra time to complete the course they can apply for an extension.
The programme duration is a combination of directed and self-directed learning activity including work placements and the total number of learning hours per week should be 25 hours on average.
Major Award in Early Childhood Care & Education
Requirement in Credit Value is 120
Students must complete these 8 Mandatory Modules
Module 1 – Child Development - 6N1942*
Gain a full understanding of the different theories in child development. Candidate should be able to recognise the differences between these theories and identify where they contrast and complement each other. The candidate will identify the practical implementation of these theories to everyday events in the ECCE. Child development theory should impact on how candidate interacts with children and approaches the child’s holistic development. An understanding of theory will also aid the candidate in the practical understanding and implantation of behaviour management techniques. More.......
Module 2 - Early Childhood Curriculum - 6N1944
The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the skills necessary to ensure children within their care have the best access to the early childhood curriculum. Candidates will gain a full understanding of early childhood educational theories and the practical implementation of these theories into everyday life in the early childhood environment. Candidates will also gain an understanding of the different programme models used to aid early childhood learning. They will recognise the different theories on the adult’s role within the learning processes along with the importance of on-going personal and professional development. More.......
Module 3 - Childhood Social Legal & Health Services - 6N1945
On successful completion of this module learners will be equipped with knowledge, skill and competence in relation to factors which influence the health and well being of children, child protection issues, the legislative and policy frameworks which influence the childcare sector, equality and diversity guidelines, key skills required of the childcare worker and personal reflection strategies. More.......
Module 4 - Work Experience - 6N1946
The Learner will learn how to: plan their work schedule, to communicate effectively in the workplace, deal with equality and to fully understand and co-operate with Health and Safety in the workplace.
They will be able to reflect on their experiences, challenges and positive experiences and will learn to understand the rights and responsibilities of both the employers and employees and the need to maintain appropriate confidentiality at all times. More.......
Module 5 - Communications - 6N1950
This module will introduce the learner to the core competencies required to be a successful communicator. Looking at Verbal, Non Verbal and Written Communications and how they are used in business and in other aspects of day-to-day life. Peer to peer communications as well as looking at communications from a management point of view are examined. More.......
Module 6 - Supervision in Early Childhood Care - 6N1973
On successful completion of this module learners will be equipped with knowledge, skill and competence in relation to management theory, the role of the supervisor, supervision practice, motivation theory and practical supervision skills. This will equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to supervise others in providing child care and education in a range of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) contexts.
Module 7 - Disability Awareness - 6N1975
Obtain the knowledge of different definitions of disability in relation to historical and cultural influences. Learners will acquire knowledge of various types of physical and learning disabilities. They will be familiar with the different assistive technology and teaching methods which will help with the negative aspects of each disability. More.......
Module 8 - Special Needs Assisting - 6N1957
The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the skills necessary to ensure children with special needs are offered the same opportunity to access education compared to those children who do not have special needs. Learners will examine the different educational options available for children in Ireland under current legalisation. More.......
*Students should be advised that some of the modules mentioned above require learners to sit a supervised exam that is normally held in Dublin but arrangements can be made in outside centres around the country.
All participants must have access to a professional Childcare environment to fulfill the assessment requirements of the course - which is at least 150 hours work experience.
It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a FETAC award, or any childcare award, please contact us for details and we will advise you of available exemptions.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
- Level 5 Certificate in Childcare or equivalent. The ideal candidate should have previous experience of studying at Level 5.
- Students must currently be working (or on work experience) in the childcare sector for a minimum of 6 hours per week, throughout the course, as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
- Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this on an individual basis through The Open College. Please Ask for Details.
- Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
- If you take this programme by distance learning the course material will be posted or emailed to you. You can complete and return assignments/projects which must be typed rather than handwritten either by post or by email.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
- Competent knowledge of English as well as basic typing skills is required as all assessments need to be typed prior to submission for correction.
- For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
If students are not able to secure a Work Placement or provide Insurance for the duration required please contact us to discuss further as we may be able to assist students with placements and work place insurance in certain circumstances.
The Open College is also registered with the Garda vetting Unit and is in a position to offer students a Garda vetting service. There may be a delay in processing applications with the Garda Vetting Unit due to high demand so we advise you to complete the form on registration.
Progression to further Studies:
This course is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). »Click here for further details.
- A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations (depending on your elective module) and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration. All assignments will be designed to maximize the individual participant’s skills in their career development. All work submitted must be your own work.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a Verifier with an independent FETAC External Authenticator to complete the process. Click here for more information.
- Following successful completion you will receive a FETAC Level 6 Major award in Early Childhood Care and Education - 6M2007.
- The Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with FETAC to offer programmes leading to FETAC awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- There is a €165.00 registration fee payable to include administration, moderation and FETAC accreditation.
Protection for Learners on this Childcare Level 6 Major Award:
As a course provider our policy on the protection for learners is subject to Section 43 of the Qualifications Act. This means that if, for whatever reason, we cease to provide the programme that is over 3 months in duration which you enrolled for, we have specific and legally binding arrangements in place to finish out that programme for you at no extra cost. All course fees for programmes over 3 months in duration are fully protected and secured by a Bank Guarantee.
If we cease trading those learners who have not finished their programme will be fully protected by this Bank Guarantee which will be automatically triggered and the fund that covers all Fees paid by learners will be transferred to FETAC by our Bank to enable FETAC provide further study options for these learners or the refund of fees most recently paid so that they can complete their programme and all of this will be at no extra cost to the learners affected.