The Open College - Our Team
Our Tutors are carefully selected as experts in their fields with extensive educational qualifications and practical experience. The role of The Open College Tutors is to correct assessments and to provide advice and support to students.
We are the official trading division of Open College for Direct Learning, a company limited by guarantee, whose main objectives as stated in the company’s Memorandum of Association are:
“To carry on the business of sourcing educational and training materials and the commissioning of writing and development of same with the object of offering these to the public on a not for profit basis.”
We are extremely proud of this and believe we are the first private company in Ireland to offer educational and training courses to the public on a not for profit basis.
Margaret O'Connor – Intellectual Disability Studies Childcare and Health Care
Margaret has over 20 year's experience working as a registered Nurse both nationally and internationally within Rehabilitation Wards. Margaret has worked in both Supervisor and managerial roles for community centres throughout the country. Margaret is currently tutoring all Health Care FEATC Level 5 Modules.
- Diploma in Health Care and Positive Living, Waterford Institute of Technology
- Management for Senior Nursing Staff, Waterford Institute of Technology
- Introductory Certificate to Mental Handicap (Intellectual Disability) for Qualified Nursing Staff, Evaluation Training and Consultancy International
- Primary Course in the Principles and Practices of Food Hygiene, Environment Health Officers Association
- Certificate in the Management of Food Hygiene, The National Hygiene Partnership
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Waterford Institute of Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (1st Class Honours), Waterford Institute of Technology
- Train the Trainer FETAC Level 6 Distinction
- Certificate in General Nursing, Jervis Street Hospital Dublin.
Paula Duggan – Anatomy & Physiology/Nutrition Courses
Paula Duggan is the director for PTN Health acting as both a personal fitness trainer and nutritional therapist for private clients. Paula’s approach to health and well being is to “provide effective tailored fitness and nutritional programmes based on the client’s personal level of fitness”.
Paula is involved within a number of projects such as Stretch and Grow, System Slim Ireland and is also a member of IANT (Irish Association of Nutritional Therapy).
- National Certificate in Swiss Ball Training for Core Stability and Balance, National Training Centre
- National Certificate in Step Aerobics, National Training Centre
- National Certificate in Exercise and Fitness, National Training Centre
- Diploma in Naturopathic Nutrition, Griffith College
- Currently Studying: Check Exercise Coach, University of Surrey UK.
Teresa Beirne – Coaching Course
Teresa has years of experience of working with groups and individuals in a coaching and training capacity in Ireland and internationally. Prior to this she worked at all levels in the corporate world, ending up at senior management level. Teresa is regarded as a top class trainer who has the ability to impart her knowledge and experience in a down to earth manner which is easily understood.
- Bachelor of Financial Services (Honours) – UCD/Smurfit School of Business
- Diploma Management & Executive Coaching – International Coaching & Training Institute
- Diploma Life & Business Coaching – Irish Life Coach Institute
- Diploma in Humanistic & Integrative Psychotherapy (Counselling) – Tabor Institute
- Licensed Business Practioner NLP – Irish Institute NLP
- Train the Trainer FETAC Level 6 - Distinction
- Certificate Organisational Development – Northern Arizona University
- Qualified Financial Advisor & Chartered Banker – Institute of Bankers Ireland.
Christine Lodge – Mental Health
Christine Lodge is an accredited, qualified Psychotherapist with years of experience working with individuals and groups. Christine has worked closely with clients with general and acute social, psychological and psychiatric problems. Christine’s style of work is Humanistic and Integrative, meaning that she combines a variety of techniques and approaches from schools of therapy such as Psychoanalysis, Person Centred, Gestalt, and Cognitive therapies.
She currently works in private practice, and provides training and support to both parents and teachers with children who have challenging behaviour.
- BA Hons Degree Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Level A & B Psychometric Testing
- Certified Facilitator –Parent & Teacher Training – Incredible Years
- Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Certificate in mediation & conflict resolution
- Certificate in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Directors & Senior Managers Programme
- Currently studying a MA in Counselling & Psychotherapy –HETAC level 9
Deirdre Harrington – Business/Management Courses
Deirdre Harrington is the main tutor for all our Management Courses; she has extensive experience within the areas of Management and Marketing. Deirdre has acted as a tutor for the University of College tutoring modules such as Human Resource Management, Market Research and Principles of Marketing.
Deirdre was also involved with the faculty of Commerce in UCC, presenting lectures to first year international students. In both roles Deirdre acted as both a corrector for assignments and an External Examiner in all areas of Management.
- Batchelor of Arts Degree in Irish and Geography, University College Cork
- Higher Diploma in Management and Marketing (H.Dip), University College Cork
- Research Masters, University College Cork.
Brian E Swinyard - Digital Photography
BA(Hons) MA ARPS EFIAP/b DPAGB BPE3* PPSA MInstLM MIfL
An 'Aspirational' Photographer with special interest in Contemporary, Creative, Portrait and Travel photography.
Brian is regarded in the UK Camera Club Circuit, not only as a prolific image-maker but also as an inspiration to others. His photography, which nowadays is exclusively digitally-based, is varied and shows a great deal of technical expertise, originality and enviable imagination.
He is a member of the Royal Photographic Society (RPS), Photographic Society of America (PSA), Bureau of Freelance Photographers (BFP), London Independent Photography (LIP), InScape, SchoolOfPhotography.com (SOP), Cheltenham Camera Club (CCC), Gloucester Camera Club (GCC) and Smethwick Photographic Society (SPS).
Approximately 1500 of his images have been accepted (some Medal winners) in National/International Exhibitions/Salons in Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Caribbean, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Holland, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Portugal, Qatar, Scotland, Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, USA and Wales. His work has been published in In-House and Photography Magazines and Journals.
- BA(Hons) Degree in Psychology with The Open University, Milton Keynes
- MA Degree in Photography with De Montfort University, Leicester.
Irene Togher – Legal Studies & Communications Courses
Irene Togher has over 15 years’ experience teaching at both secondary and PLC levels, giving her an insight into education from first year in secondary school up to Level 7 in college. She is also an established educational writer, having published ‘Shortcuts to Success: Study and Exam Skills for Leaving Certificate’ with Gill and Macmillan as well as numerous articles and courses. Her areas of interest are Study Skills, Communications, Media and Law.
- Bachelor of Arts in English and Legal Studies, NUI Galway
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), NUI Galway
- Masters in Arts in Media Studies (Honours), Dublin Institute of Technology.
Helen Nolan – Health & Safety Courses
Helen Nolan has over 5 years’ experience tutoring FETAC Courses in: Intellectual Disability, Social Studies, Understanding Special Needs, Special Needs Assisting, Safety and Health, Childcare & Challenging Behaviour.
She also has over 3 years experience in Programme Facilitator Teaching adults with Intellectual Disability FETAC Modules
& 4 years Special Needs Assistant working with children with ADHD and Autism.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Humanities
- Diploma in the Humanities
- Occupational First aid
- Special needs Certificate
- N.C.F.E Childcare Certificate
- Childcare and Crèche/ Supervisor Certificate - Blackrock College, Dublin
Our Offices are Located at:
The Open College
The Learning Centre,
Fax: 01 206 1750
Send us your Query
»Click here for Enquiry Form
Request a Free 2013 Prospectus:
»Click here to request a Free Prospectus
Book Online with our Secure Enrolment Form:
»Click here to Book Online