Operating Department Care Skills Course – (QQI Lvl 5)
€345.00 — or €149.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Operating Department Care Skills (5N3767).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online eLearning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €149 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- No classes to attend.
This Operating Department Care Skills Level 5 award will:
- Enable the learner to acquire the knowledge and competences necessary to deliver effective, safe and efficient client care within the operating department.
- Facilitate the learner to gain understanding of the physical and psychological needs of the client within the operating department.
- Facilitate the learner to understand the importance of stock management, record keeping and procedures for reporting incidents.
- Facilitate the learner to acquire knowledge and competence in the role of circulating personnel in supporting the healthcare team during surgical procedures.
- Facilitate the learner to understand the importance of safe practices in relation to handling and storage practices to ensure environmental safety within the operating department.
- Facilitate the learner to be aware of the importance of interpersonal skills and effective communication and to recognize terminology associated with the operating department.
- Facilitate the learner to gain the theoretical knowledge and practical skills in performing clinical procedures, patient care procedures and housekeeping skills in a competent, safe and hygienic manner.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited qualification. Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics Covered Include:
- Unit One: Safety and Health.
- Unit Two: Infection Control.
- Unit Three: Client Care and Clinical Activity.
- Unit Four: Communication.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
- Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Students must be working or on work experience in the Healthcare Sector (6-8 hours per week or 30 hours in total) throughout their course as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
The work placement must be completed in organisations within the Healthcare sector, that have access to an operating theatre with appropriate equipment and supervisory staff.
As part of the assessment criteria for this course students’ will need to carry out practical demonstrations, all candidates who enrol for this programme must have the agreement from their supervisor/manager in the work place to oversee their practical work.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Garda Vetting will be required any workplacement within the Care Sector. The Open College is an approved Garda Vetting organisation and can assist with this if required. Please ask for details.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Skills Demonstration – 60% of Marks
Assignment – 40% of Marks
Skills Demonstration: The learner will be observed in a range of clinical skills, a written report will also be submitted for each skill undertaken and a Competency Report signed by workplace supervisor will also be produced as evidence.
Project: The Learner is required to produce 2 assignments, which will focus on a specific issue within the operating department, the learner will choose 2 assignments from a compiled list and follow specific guidelines and structure. Both assignments will follow the same assessment criteria and will carry equal marking.
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Operating Department Care Skills (5N3706).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This QQI Operating Department Care Skills 5N3767 course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.