Approaches to Early Childhood Education (QQI Lvl 5)
€345.00 — or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Approaches to Early Childhood Education (5N1763).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
The purpose of this QQI Level 5 Approaches to Early Childhood Education module is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the philosophy and practice underpinning a specific approach to Early Childhood Education, to include one of the following Montessori, Froebel, Steiner or Weikart.
- To familiarise the learner with various educational theorists and their programmes suitable for young children: Maria Montessori, Friedrich Froebel, Rudolf Steiner and David P. Weikart (HighScope)
- To facilitate the learner in differentiating between the unique concepts of the various programmes.
- To provide the learner with the opportunity to explore materials and resources related to the various educational programmes.
- To facilitate the learner in planning, implementing suitable activities in for children in an ECCE environment.
- To enable the learner to define the various roles of the adult in relation to the education of young children.
- To enable learner to define the elements of a quality Early Childhood Care and Education.
- To encourage the learner to assess the value of a specific learning environment to the development and well-being of young children.
- Educational programmes suitable for young children.
- Suitable routines for children in an ECCE environment.
- The value of a suitable environment to a child learning.
- The role of the adult in early childhood education.
- Reflection on the learner’s own role when working with children and member of the working team.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration. The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this module may use this Level 5 credit towards the FETAC Early Childhood Care & Education Level 5 Major Award – 5M2009.
- Assignment 40%
- Portfolio / Collection of Work 60%
The learner will produce an assignment which evaluates the chosen approach, draws comparisons with other approaches studied and demonstrate the value of the chosen approach to early childhood education.
Portfolio / Collection of Work:
- Siolta: The learner will present a comprehensive account of Siolta – 20%
- Aistear: The learner will present a comprehensive account of Aistear – 20%
- The learner will discuss the importance of activity in ECED – 10%
- Evidence of personal strengths and weaknesses when working with children and families – 10%.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Approaches to Early Childhood Education (5N1763).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Approaches to Early Childhood Education – QQI Level 5 (5N1763) course is completed through Distance Learning Course and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.