Child Health & Well Being Course (QQI Level 5)
€345.00 — or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Child Health and Well Being (5N1765)
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
The purpose of this QQI Child Health & Well Being award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide for the health and well-being of children and maintain healthy, hygienic and safe practices and environments in a range of early childhood care and education (ECCE) settings.
Learners who successfully complete this module will:
- understand the responsibilities involved in providing for the health and well-being of children
- care for the physical needs of children in the ECCE setting
- promote good practice in child health and well-being
- maintain an environment for children that is healthy, hygienic and safe.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
- Unit 1: Safety
- Unit 2: Health
- Unit 3: Feeding Babies and Children
- Unit 4: Nappy-Changing and Toileting.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum over the duration of the programme – approx. 4-6 hours per week) within the relevant vocational area.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
If students are not able to secure a Work Placement or provide Insurance for the duration required please contact us to discuss further as we may be able to assist students with placements and work place insurance in certain circumstances.
The Open College is also registered with the Garda vetting Unit and is in a position to offer students a Garda vetting service. There may be a delay in processing applications with the Garda Vetting Unit due to high demand so we advise you to complete the form on registration.
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the major award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
Skills Demonstration 60%
Skills Demonstration: In one or more skills demonstrations, candidates will be observed completing a range of skills:
- Prepare a balanced menu plan for either a baby, toddler or young child
- Prepare a notice for parents informing them of an outbreak of a common childhood illness
- Devise a physical activity plan for either babies, toddler and young children
- Carry out a nappy changing AND bottle feeding routine.
Project: The internal assessor will devise a project brief that requires candidates to demonstrate their understanding of health and safety issues in a childcare setting.
Through the project, candidates will also demonstrate:
- their understanding and application of concepts in caring for children
- use of relevant research skills and sources of information
- their ability to analyse, evaluate, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
All participants must have access to a professional Childcare environment to fulfil the practical assessment requirements of the course.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Child Health and Well Being (5N1765).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Child Health and Well Being 5N1765 (QQI Level 5) course is completed through Distance Learning Course and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.