Early Care and Education Practice (QQI Level 5)
— or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Early Care & Education Practice (5N1770).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
This QQI Early Care & Education Practice module is designed to equip the learner with the personal skills and knowledge required to work in a professional manner with children, parents and colleagues either in the home or a childcare setting. It aims to promote good practice, equality of opportunity and respect for diversity in lifestyles, religion and culture in early years care.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- be aware of the history and current status of childcare provision in Ireland
- recognise the importance of certain personal qualities and values for those working with children
- understand the entitlements and responsibilities of a childcare employee
- appreciate the need for continuing professional development in childcare, drawing on personal reflection and experience
- promote equality of opportunity and respect for diversity in the childcare setting
- appreciate the importance of working effectively with parents and as part of a childcare team.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
Unit 1: History and Development of Services
Unit 2: Key Legislation in Childcare
Unit 3: Equality and Diversity Issues in Childcare
Unit 4: Working in Childcare
Unit 5: Professional Development for the Childcare Worker.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum) within the relevant vocational area.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the Level 5 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
Assignments (2) 60%
Learner Records 40%
The internal assessor will devise two briefs that require the candidate to produce evidence that demonstrates an understanding and application of a range of specific learning outcomes.
- Assignment One will require the learner to explore relevant legislation and how it relates to ECCE practice.
- Assignment Two will get the learner to show the importance of effective personal and professional reflection and how this informs working with children, families and team members.
A personal reflective diary will be compiled by candidates.
It will include reflection on:
- training in childcare, including learning patterns and the links between theoretical learning and practical work with children
- the effect this training has on working with children
- relationships with parents/members of the childcare team
- personal learning in childcare.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Early Care & Education Practice (5N1770).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Early Care & Education Practice 5N1770 (QQI Level 5) course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.