Early Childhood Education & Play (QQI Level 5)
— or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Early Childhood Education & Play (5N1773).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
The purpose of this Early Childhood Education & Play (QQI Level 5) distance learning course is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to ensure that each child’s learning development and well-being is facilitated through the provision of opportunities, experiences, activities, interaction, materials and equipment, having regard to the age and stage of development of the child and the child’s cultural context.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
This module will:
- Outline the types, stages patterns and purposes of children’s play.
- Describe a range of theories of play in the context of children’s education to include Psychoanalytic theories (Freud, Winnicott) and Constructivist theories (Piaget, Vygotsky).
- Evaluate the role of the adult in children’s play.
- Explore a child led approach to meeting the play and educational requirements of children.
- Describe different approaches to curriculum development and implementation in the ECCE setting.
- Assess the value of equipment, materials, play spaces, both indoors and outdoors in the ECCE setting.
- Use a range of reading and storytelling techniques appropriate to different stages of children’s development and cultural background.
- Select relevant play activities and materials appropriate to children’s interest and stage of development and cultural background.
- Implement appropriate curricula which promotes learning and the holistic development of the child
- Reflect on own role and responsibilities when supporting children in their play.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum) within the relevant vocational area.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the major award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
If students are not able to secure a Work Placement or provide Insurance for the duration required please contact us to discuss further as we may be able to assist students with placements and work place insurance in certain circumstances.
The Open College is also registered with the Garda vetting Unit and is in a position to offer students a Garda vetting service. There may be a delay in processing applications with the Garda Vetting Unit due to high demand so we advise you to complete the form on registration.
Assignments (2) 60%
Skills Demonstration 40%
The internal assessor will devise two briefs that require the candidate to produce evidence that demonstrates an understanding and application of a range of specific learning outcomes.
- Assignment One will ask the learner to explore the value of play and relates this to children’s learning and development
- Assignment Two will ask the learner to evaluate the equipment, materials and play spaces, both indoor and outdoor and includes the role of the adult in quality provision for children.
Learners are required to present a storytelling session to a child/group of children. This involves evaluating a range of books, appropriate for children. The learner will provide an evaluation of 4 books in total, each has a weighting of 10%.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Early Childhood Education & Play (5N1773).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This QQI Early Childhood Education & Play 5N1773 course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.