School Age Childcare (QQI Level 5)
€345.00 — or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in School Age Childcare (5N1781).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online eLearning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
This School Age Childcare 5N1781 module aims to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to implement and evaluate school age childcare programmes.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manuals, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
At the end of this course Learners will be able to:
- Outline the elements of an effective school age childcare programme.
- Explain the importance of developing programme plans that are inclusive of children and young people
- Discuss strategies to ensure that a strong focus on play/recreation remains a core principle and a distinguishing characteristic of school age childcare settings
- Identify aspects of provision for enrichment/homework within a multi-age setting
- Evaluate environments, equipment and resources to suit stages of development and ages
- Use strategies for involving all service users in the planning, implementing and evaluation of the programme
- Evaluate a range of environments (indoor and outdoor) suitable for a school age childcare setting
- Implement a range of activities that address the developmental, recreational, interest and creative needs of children and young people
- Reflect on own role and responsibilities when engaging with children.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum) within the relevant vocational area.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the major award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
Assignments (2) 40%
Learner Record 60%.
Assignments x 2:
1). The learner is required to design two activities, one outdoor and one indoor activity.
Choose a different age group and different activity for each. Include one of the following age groups for each activity.
- 4-6 years.
- 6-10 years.
- 10-12 years.
The activities must incorporate physical, intellectual, language, emotional and social development.
2). The learner will produce an effective programme plan for the school age child and also outline the importance of inclusion and identifying aspects of provision for enrichment/homework within a multi-age setting.
The learner will produce 4 self-reported and self-reflective records in which the learner describes specific learning experiences, activities, responses and skills acquired.
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in School Age Childcare (5N1781).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This School Age Childcare 5N1781 (QQI Level 5) course is completed through eLearning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.