Supervision in Early Childhood Care (QQI Lvl 6)
— or €148.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Supervision in Early Childhood Care (6N1793).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €148 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. First payment is taken upon enrolment and second / final payment a month later.
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
On successful completion of this QQI Supervision in Early Childhood Care distance learning course learners will be equipped with knowledge, skill and competence in relation to management theory, the role of the supervisor, supervision practice, motivation theory and practical supervision skills.
This will equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to supervise others in providing child care and education in a range of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) contexts.
Who should complete this course?
- Existing childcare Managers and Supervisors who wish to gain an internationally recognised qualification.
- Newly appointed childcare Managers and Supervisors who wish to learn how to manage people and teams.
- Owners of childcare facilities and people in childcare operations who have direct reports and wish to learn best-practice techniques for managing people.
Topics covered include:
- how to manage your time more effectively,
- how to lead and manage staff,
- how to be better organised,
- how to solve management problems,
- how to recruit, motivate and provide feedback to staff, and,
- how to work in partnership with parents and carers.
This QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Introduction to Management Theory:
- Key theorists such as Henri Fayol
- Four C’s of Management.
Role of the Supervisor:
- Communication (verbal and non-verbal)
- Time management
- Organisational skills
- Decision making
- Achieving objectives
- Awareness of legislation such as Protection for Persons Reporting Child Abuse Act 1998, Child Care (Pre-School Services) (No.2) Regulations 2006, Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 Child Care Act 1991, Children Act 2001 and Status of Children Act 1987.
- Peer supervision
- Group supervision
- One to one supervision
- Barriers to effective supervision.
- Scientific (e.g. F.W. Taylor)
- Human Relations (e.g. Elton Mayo)
- Behavioural Science (e.g. Abraham Maslow and Douglas McGregor)
Practical Supervision Skills:
- Team meetings
- Learning and Training Needs (appraisals)
- Strengths and areas for development
- Improving personal effectiveness (e.g. Upskilling, Continuous Professional Development, Regular reviews, Research, Networking).
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Level 5 Award or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Childcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Students must currently be working (or on work experience) in the Childcare sector for a minimum of 6 hours per week (30 hours minimum), throughout the course, as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 6 are expected to be able to: fluently read, draft, prepare and understand complex information, including quantitative information, that is personally relevant and reflecting a broad knowledge base. For example, this might include text and other information relating to abstract theoretical ideas, concerns or procedures, such as local planning concerns in relation to broader spatial strategy, political issues in relation to particular agenda, budget plans/ specifications.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 6 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education – 6M2007.
- This course is assessed through completion of a number of activities and completion of a personal Learner Record which records your experience of supervision in a childcare context. This will cover planning of initiatives, making decisions, in addition to demonstrating your supervision and organisational skills. All work submitted must be your own work.
- There is no exam with this course.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a Verifier with an independent FETAC External Authenticator to complete the process. Click here for more information.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Supervision in Early Childhood Care (6N1793).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Supervision in Early Childhood Care – 6N1973 (QQI Level 6) course is completed through Distance Learning Course and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.