Adv. Childhood Care & Education Major Award – QQI Level 6
— or €125.00 / month for 10 months
- Our distance learning QQI level 6 Early Childhood Care & Education Major award – 6M2007 will provide learners with the knowledge, skill and competence to work as autonomous practitioners and to lead and supervise others in the provision of quality early childhood care and education in a variety of ECCE settings, whether working in a day care nursery, crèche, pre-school / after school facility or with families as a professional childminder.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this 8 module course you will gain a QQI Level 6 Early Childhood Care & Education Major Award – 6M2007.
- How is it delivered? Distance Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- Is there a placement required? Yes, All participants must have access to a professional Childcare environment before the end of the 13 month programme and must be at least 150 hours work experience.
- Do you cover insurance? Yes, we cover our Students work placement Insurance requirements and at no extra cost.
- How long is this Level 6 Childcare Major Award? Students are given ample time (13 months / 56 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €1,190 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees for all the 8 modules. No other hidden accreditation or certification fees to pay!
- There are also Easy Payment options of – €125 per month over 10 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Sector Requirement: All team leaders are required under legislation to have a QQI Level 6 ECCE qualification (or equivalent).
- Garda Vetting is also provided at no extra cost.
This QQI level 6 Early Childhood Care and Education Major award – 6M2007 will provide learners with the knowledge, skill and competence to work as autonomous practitioners and to lead and supervise others in the provision of quality early childhood care and education in a variety of ECCE settings, whether working in a day care nursery, crèche, pre-school / after school facility or with families as a professional childminder.
The programme meets the educational requirements as set out for the Government’s Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) scheme. The ECCE requires that at least one person in each childcare centre or crèche has this qualification. It will provide a major boost to your career prospects if you are interested in developing a career in childcare.
As part of this Major Award learners will complete a total of 8 modules to achieve the award. On completion of the award learners will have the option of progressing to higher education and training opportunities.
In addition to being valuable for staff working in childcare environments, the modules within this course provide valuable information and important skills to learners and to others involved in the informal provision of childcare and childhood developments and with flexible study options it is suitable for those with family/work commitments who are unable to attend lectures.
Summary benefits of completing this Level 6 Childcare Major award course
- You need to hold at least a level 6 Major Award (or equivalent) in Childcare in order to be a Room Leader and benefit from ECCE subsidies.
- The level 6 Major Award syllabus is more advanced and of more benefit to you, and your workplace.
- You can commence the Level 6 Major Award in Childcare course if you hold a Level 5 Major Award in Childcare.
- Following completion of our QQI Level 6 Major Award in Childcare, you can progress to a higher level course in a 3rd Level University or Institute of Technology.
About the Early Childhood Scheme (ECCE):
This scheme is a government funded initiative offering a free pre-school year in an early education centre. Part of the requirements of the scheme, stipulate that Childcare Leaders and employees must hold certain qualifications in order to qualify for the scheme. The certification offered by this programme fully meets the educational requirements for childcare staff. For pre-school practitioners to avail of the ordinary capitation rate for the ECCE scheme which was introduced in January 2010, the pre-school leader should hold a Major Award in the relevant area at Level 5. Full details on the qualification requirements for the ordinary and higher rate of capitation are set out on the Department of Children and Youth Affairs website.
The Childcare Legislation (2016) requires all childcare workers to hold a minimum of a Level 5 Major Award in Childcare before they are allowed to work in a registered childcare setting.
However, in ECCE services, subsidies will only be paid for individual ECCE Sessions where the ECCE Room leader holds at least a Level 6 Major Childcare Award.
In short, if you need to complete a Major Award in Childcare, The Open College recommends the following:
- Start with this Level 6 Major Award in Childcare, if you are an experienced Childcare Worker or have any Level 5 Major Award Childcare course.
- Start with our QQI Level 5 Major Award in Childcare, if you do not hold any Level 5 Childcare Major award. Once you complete the our QQI Level 5 Major Award in Early Childhood Care & Education (5M2009) you may then progress to Level 6 Childcare courses.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Develop an understanding of the interdependency of all domains of child development and its impact on early childhood education and care practice.
- Acquire an understanding of early childhood programmes.
- Develop an awareness of social and legal issues which relate directly to and impact on early childhood education and care settings.
- Enhance their professional communication skills to promote effective interaction with all stakeholders.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification. Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
The course documentation for this course is detailed and easy to read. If students require extra time to complete the course they can apply for an extension.
The programme duration is a combination of directed and self-directed learning activity including work placements and the total number of learning hours per week should be 25 hours on average.
Students must complete the following 8 Mandatory Modules
Module 1: Child Development – 6N1942*
Gain a full understanding of the different theories in child development. Candidate should be able to recognise the differences between these theories and identify where they contrast and complement each other. The candidate will identify the practical implementation of these theories to everyday events in the ECCE. Child development theory should impact on how candidate interacts with children and approaches the child’s holistic development. An understanding of theory will also aid the candidate in the practical understanding and implantation of behaviour management techniques. More…….
Module 2: Early Childhood Curriculum – 6N1944
The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the skills necessary to ensure children within their care have the best access to the early childhood curriculum. Candidates will gain a full understanding of early childhood educational theories and the practical implementation of these theories into everyday life in the early childhood environment. Candidates will also gain an understanding of the different programme models used to aid early childhood learning. They will recognise the different theories on the adult’s role within the learning processes along with the importance of on-going personal and professional development. More…….
On successful completion of this module learners will be equipped with knowledge, skill and competence in relation to factors which influence the health and well being of children, child protection issues, the legislative and policy frameworks which influence the childcare sector, equality and diversity guidelines, key skills required of the childcare worker and personal reflection strategies. More…….
Module 4: Work Experience – 6N1946
The Learner will learn how to: plan their work schedule, to communicate effectively in the workplace, deal with equality and to fully understand and co-operate with Health and Safety in the workplace.
They will be able to reflect on their experiences, challenges and positive experiences and will learn to understand the rights and responsibilities of both the employers and employees and the need to maintain appropriate confidentiality at all times. More…….
Module 5: Communications – 6N1950
This module will introduce the learner to the core competencies required to be a successful communicator. Looking at Verbal, Non Verbal and Written Communications and how they are used in business and in other aspects of day-to-day life. Peer to peer communications as well as looking at communications from a management point of view are examined. More…….
On successful completion of this module learners will be equipped with knowledge, skill and competence in relation to management theory, the role of the supervisor, supervision practice, motivation theory and practical supervision skills. This will equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to supervise others in providing child care and education in a range of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) contexts. More…….
Module 7: Disability Awareness – 6N1975
Obtain the knowledge of different definitions of disability in relation to historical and cultural influences. Learners will acquire knowledge of various types of physical and learning disabilities. They will be familiar with the different assistive technology and teaching methods which will help with the negative aspects of each disability. More…….
Module 8: Special Needs Assisting – 6N1957
The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the skills necessary to ensure children with special needs are offered the same opportunity to access education compared to those children who do not have special needs. Learners will examine the different educational options available for children in Ireland under current legalisation. More…….
*Students taking this module will have to take an
online theory examination
All participants must have access to a professional Childcare environment before the end of the 13 month programme and must be at least 150 hours work experience..
It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a qualifying QQI award, or any childcare award and will be no older than 5 years at the time of certification on this major award please contact and we will advise you of available exemptions.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Level 5 Major Award or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Childcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (150 hours minimum) within the relevant Childcare area. Note: This can be completed near the end of the 13 month programme (Work Experience Module) and other module completion is not restricted.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 6 are expected to be able to: fluently read, draft, prepare and understand complex information, including quantitative information, that is personally relevant and reflecting a broad knowledge base. For example, this might include text and other information relating to abstract theoretical ideas, concerns or procedures, such as local planning concerns in relation to broader spatial strategy, political issues in relation to particular agenda, budget plans/ specifications.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
If students are not able to secure a Work Placement or provide Insurance for the duration required please contact us to discuss further as we may be able to assist students with placements and work place insurance in certain circumstances.
The Open College is also registered with the National Vetting Bureau and is in a position to offer students a Garda Vetting service. There may be a delay in processing applications with the Garda Vetting Unit due to high demand so we advise you to complete the form on registration.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies:
- This Level 6 Childcare Major award programme is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). »Click here for further details.
- A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations (depending on your elective module) and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration. All assignments will be designed to maximize the individual participant’s skills in their career development. All work submitted must be your own work.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a Verifier with an independent QQI External Authenticator to complete the process.
Protection for Learners on this Childcare Level 6 Major Award:
As a course provider our policy on the protection for learners is subject to Section 43 of the Qualifications Act. This means that if, for whatever reason, we cease to provide the programme that is over 3 months in duration which you enrolled for, we have specific and legally binding arrangements in place to finish out that programme for you at no extra cost. All course fees for programmes over 3 months in duration are fully protected and secured by a Bond.
If we cease trading those learners who have not finished their programme will be fully protected by this Bond which will be automatically triggered and the fund that covers all Fees paid by learners will be transferred to QQI by our Bond Management firm to enable QQI provide further study options for these learners or the refund of fees most recently paid so that they can complete their programme and all of this will be at no extra cost to the learners affected.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 Major award in Early Childhood Care and Education - 6M2007.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This QQI Early Childhood Care and Education Level 6 Major award programme – 6M2007 is completed through Distance Learning Course and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 13 months which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.