Disability Awareness Course (QQI Level 6)
— or €159.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 6 component certificate in Disability Awareness (6N1975).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €314.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €159 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- No classes to attend.
Learners who complete this QQI Disability Awareness course will obtain the knowledge on different definitions of disability in relation to historical and cultural influences. Learners will acquire knowledge of various types of physical and learning disabilities.
They will be familiar with the different assistive technology and teaching methods which will help with the negative aspects of each disability and will acquire an understanding of the various theoretical models of disability and will have an awareness of the different legal issues associated with disability.
Course documentation for this course is detailed, comprehensive and easy to read. This distance learning QQI accredited course means that students can study flexibly at home, or at work, while gaining an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics Covered will Include:
- Types of Disabilities and Conditions
- Behaviour Difficulties and their Management
- Specific Learning Difficulties
- Self-Regulation and Social Skills Training.
Who should complete this course?
- People who wish to pursue a career working with people who suffer from a disability.
- People looking to gain a QQI Level 6 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 6M2007.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Level 5 Award or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare or Disability) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 6 are expected to be able to: fluently read, draft, prepare and understand complex information, including quantitative information, that is personally relevant and reflecting a broad knowledge base. For example, this might include text and other information relating to abstract theoretical ideas, concerns or procedures, such as local planning concerns in relation to broader spatial strategy, political issues in relation to particular agenda, budget plans/ specifications.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor, Teacher or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment may be necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 6 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 6 credit towards completing a Major FETAC award.
- Learners can use this credit towards completing the Level 6 Major Award in Early Childhood Care & Education – 6M2007.
This course is assessed through a number of assignments and a Learner Record which students must complete to demonstrate their understanding of various topics.
Learner Record 50%
The internal assessor will devise a brief that requires the candidate to produce evidence that demonstrates an understanding and application, within the workplace, of a range of specific learning outcomes with regard to a chosen disability or condition.
Assignment: Learners are required to research and examine a specific special need they are interested in.
They must also assess the difficulties faced by those with disabilities in general and outline the help available.
They will construct their assignment based on the guidelines outlined in the assessment briefs and marking schemes provided upon commencement of the programme.
Learner Record: A learner record will be compiled by each learner. This is a journal will be reflective record in which he/she describes specific learning experiences, activities, responses and skills acquired in the area of disability.
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI component certificate in Disability Awareness (6N1975) at Level 6.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Disability Awareness 6N1975 – (QQI Level 6) course is completed through online Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.