Purchasing & Procurement Course (QQI Level 6)
— or €169.00 / month for 2 months
- This eLearning QQI level 6 Purchasing and Procurement qualification is designed for a broad spectrum of people in business who would benefit from a greater understanding of Purchasing and Procurement in an organisation. It covers topics such as the key terms associated with procurement, Evolution of Purchasing, Specification, the Five Rights, Key components of a contract including the rationale of termination of agreements and more.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this module you will gain a QQI Level 6 component Certificate in Purchasing & Procurement (6N2183).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- How is it delivered? Online Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- How long is the Course? Students are given ample time (8 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €324 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €169 per month over 2 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer
- Study from Home – No classes to attend.
This eLearning QQI level 6 Purchasing and Procurement qualification is designed for a broad spectrum of people in business who would benefit from a greater understanding of Purchasing and Procurement in an organisation.
This course covers topics such as the key terms associated with procurement, Evolution of Purchasing, Specification, the Five Rights, Key components of a contract including the rationale of termination of agreements.
It will teach the learner how to use a classification system to rank procurement items in order of importance, how to implement tactical and strategic sourcing and be able to apply relevant criteria for assessment of suppliers and above all to negotiate effectively during all stages of procurement giving due consideration to ethical practices at all times.
In summary people studying this course will:
- Learn the key terms associated with Purchasing and Procurement.
- Be able to evaluate the role of Purchasing and Procurement in an organisation to include logistics and legal requirements.
- Be able to research Procurement in different sectors including public and private, in terms of tendering processes, specifications and e-procurement.
- Be able to explain the difference between rationalisation and development roles in Purchasing.
- Evaluate the importance of green Procurement with respect to sourcing materials, waste management, product life cycle and disposal.
- Explain the key components of a contract including the rationale of termination of agreements.
- Be able to use a classification system to rank Procurement items in order of importance.
- To implement tactical and strategic sourcing.
- Apply relevant criteria for assessment of suppliers.
- To negotiate effectively during all stages of Procurement giving due consideration to ethical practices.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification in the process.
The specific learning outcomes are grouped into 10 units.
- Unit 1: Definition and key terms associated with Procurement.
- Unit 2: Evaluating the role of Purchasing and Procurement.
- Unit 3: Researching Procurement in the different sectors of Industry.
- Unit 4: Explaining the different development roles in Purchasing.
- Unit 5: The importance of Green Procurement in souring materials, waste management and disposal.
- Unit 6: The key components of a contract including termination.
- Unit 7: Ranking Procurement in order of importance through classifications systems.
- Unit 8: Implementing tactical and strategic sourcing.
- Unit 9: Criteria used when assessing suppliers.
- Unit 10: Negotiating effectively during all stages of procurement.
Who should complete this course:
- Purchasing is a vital and value adding activity in any organisation, leading to the need to understand its importance and value it can bring to an organisation.
- The module is suitable for anybody involved in buying, procuring, making decisions regarding the sourcing, selection and ongoing management of suppliers and contracts, those with responsibility for monitoring and managing the impact of purchasing on the overall performance of the business and those interested in quantifying the successes of the purchasing function and promoting the function within the organisation.
- This module highlights the key areas and will give the student and their organisation real purchasing and procurement benefits.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Level 5 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Business) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 6 are expected to be able to: fluently read, draft, prepare and understand complex information, including quantitative information, that is personally relevant and reflecting a broad knowledge base. For example, this might include text and other information relating to abstract theoretical ideas, concerns or procedures, such as local planning concerns in relation to broader spatial strategy, political issues in relation to particular agenda, budget plans/ specifications.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Learners who successfully complete this QQI Level 6 programme in Purchasing & Procurement (6N2183) may use this certificate to towards the completion of other courses within this field such as:
- Supply Chain Logistics Major Award (6M2192) and Retail Management (6M4385).
This Certificate can also be used as a stand alone qualification.
This module is assessed by a Assignment and an online Theory Exam in which the learner will demonstrate their understanding and application of topics studied in this module.
The Assignment will be divided into a number of parts. The Assignment will require learners to investigate a topic and engage in research in an organisation they are familiar with.
It will require the learner to demonstrate an understanding of how suppliers are selected, the negotiation process involved, whether to select a single or multiple sources and the factors involved in the choice of contract awarded. It should be based on an organisation that you are familiar with.
The following points will need to be addressed in the assignment under the following headings:
- Discuss the importance of supplier selection to an organisation and the importance of choosing the right supplier.
- Explain the process of negotiation undertaken by an organisation when selecting suppliers.
- Outline the selection criteria used by organisations when choosing suppliers.
- Discuss the factors influencing the choice of contract awarded to a supplier.
- Discuss the options available to an organisation when terminating a contract.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages for choosing to opt for a single source or a multiple source.
The internal assessor has devised an online theory-based examination that assesses candidates’ ability to recall and apply theory and understanding, requiring responses to a range of short answer and structured questions.
The examination will be based on a range of specific learning outcomes and will be 2 hours in duration.
The format of the examination will be as follows:
- 10 short answer questions. Candidates are required to answer 10 (2 marks each).
- 2 structured questions. Candidates are required to answer 2 (20 marks each).
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 6 Certificate in Purchasing & Procurement (6N2183).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Purchasing & Procurement – QQI Level 6 (6N2183) course is completed through Online eLearning and there are no lectures to attend. Only attendance required is for the Theory Exam which is normally held after the 8 weeks listed below.
This programme is completed on a part-time basis over 8 weeks and has been designed to be sufficiently flexible so that it may meet the needs of the learner who accesses programmes through many different avenues at The Open College. Overall, the programme is based on a notional duration of 150 hours (typical learner effort), to include both directed and self-directed learning including assessments.