Recognition of Prior Learning
What is RPL?
There are two types of RPL:
- RPL for entry onto a relevant QQI programme, each QQI programme has specific entry requirements, if you do not meet these requirements you may apply for entry based on relevant experience. Please contact the college for further details on this.
- RPL is also the process of determining, from previous certified learning, if learners are eligible for a module exemption relevant to a component covered on their QQI programme. This process applies to non QQI/NCVA/FETAC awards only.
For further information on the exemption process from NCVA/FETAC awards please see link below:
Please note that due to the nature of online learning we as a provider do not accommodate option (2) RPL for exemption.
RPL for Entry – What is this?
Where learners cannot meet the relevant prerequisites for entry onto any of our QQI Level 5 or 6 programmes, consideration will given to those with previous experience of working in the relevant vocational sector (3 years minimum) and/or previous certified learning within the relevant vocational sector – applicable to mature applicants only (over 23 years).
Anyone who is seeking an exemption based on recognition of prior learning will need to supply the following information:
- Completed QQI RPL Form to include details of previous certified Learning / Experience.
- Relevant certificates (specifically linked to an awarding body) to include transcript of academic results – awards which have been issued from foreign countries will need to be transcribed onto the Irish Framework of Qualifications before applications can be considered.
- Programme details relating to the previous certified learning – it is essential to establish that learners have already covered the learning objectives set down in the QQI module descriptors.
- Employers References.
To continue please complete the below online form ensuring you upload all the required documentation as noted above.