Sports, Recreation & Exercise (QQI Major Award)
— or €139.00 / month for 10 months
- Our part time QQI Level 5 Major Award in Sports, Recreation and Exercise is a broad Sports and Leisure course that will enable students to demonstrate and apply a range of skills and knowledge in a variety of Sports and Recreation contexts. Students will acquire the knowledge and practical skills required to assist in the running of a Sports and Leisure Facility.
- How is it delivered? Blended Learning programme with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this 8 module course you will gain a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Sports Recreation and Exercise – 5M5146.
- NFQ Credit Value: 120 credits.
- Do you cover insurance? Yes, Student work placement Insurance is covered at no extra cost.
- How long is the Course? Students are given ample time (13 months / 56 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €1,299 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees for all the 8 modules. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €139 per month over 10 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Garda Vetting is also provided at no extra cost.
This part time QQI Level 5 Major Award in Sports, Recreation and Exercise is a broad Sports and Leisure course that will enable students to demonstrate and apply a range of skills and knowledge in a variety of Sports and Recreation contexts. Students will acquire the knowledge and practical skills required to assist in the running of a Sports and Leisure Facility.
The variety of modules covered during the duration of this programme will allow the learner to work independently and under supervision in a range of facility types. Students will be provided with a basic understanding of Recreation theory and health concepts in a variety of subject areas.
We will provide students with an understanding of the Leisure industry and other general areas which will be beneficial to their future careers. Students will be required to complete 8 component certificates in order to achieve this QQI Level 5 Major Award in Sports Recreation and Exercise.
Students will be equipped with the confidence to go into the workplace or they may progress to further or higher education in a related field.
This programme will be delivered part-time over 13 months by a mix of Distance Learning, Workplacements and Skills Demonstration events.
Some of the many benefits in studying with us on this course:
- The ability to design a course that best suits your learning requirements and career goals.
- One of the first Private Providers to have this new substantial Major Award validated by QQI. All our Awards are Fully Validated & Approved by QQI.
- More choice, Innovative Learning approach, High Quality and unbeatable prices – Why Pay more for the same QQI Award!
- All student fees for this Major Award are fully secure and protected by a Bond.
- Easy Payment Plan available with this course. »Click here for further details.
- We only offer QQI awards thus ensuring high Quality and Standards.
- Work placement Insurance can be covered by us in certain circumstances. Ask for details.
- Group Discounts Available: Enrol 2+ people, for €1,200 per learner (a discount of over 7% per person on existing Special offer price).
- We are an approved National Vetting Bureau Organisation.
The overall aim of the programme is to provide the learner with the opportunity to develop the required knowledge, skills and competence in the leisure industry in order to meet the standards set by the awarding body in the award specification for Sports Recreation and Exercise level 5.
The objectives of this programme are as follows:
- To enable the learner to explore the Sports & Leisure environment with a view to reskilling or upskilling and exploring concepts and subject areas that may interest the learner in future programmes or employment.
- To support the learner to investigate the role and functions of the Sports and Leisure Industry in contributing to a healthy population and running leisure organisations.
- To enable the learner to investigate methods and techniques that could be used by a manger or facility to reach an organisations goals and objectives in areas including customer service, healthy lifestyles, leisure facility administration.
Requirement in credit value for this Major Award is 120 Credits with 15 Credits per Module available.
Mandatory – All of the following seven components: – 105 Credits
- Sports and Recreation Studies (5N2667)* – Click here for details »</
- Exercise & Fitness (5N2668)* – Click here for details »
- Work Experience (5N1433) – Click here for details »
- Sports Anatomy and Physiology (5N4648)
- Leisure Facility Operations (5N4667) – Click here for details »
- Health & Safety at Work (5N1794)* – Click here for details »
- Nutrition (5N2006)* – Click here for details »
Elective Option: A minimum of one component (credit value 15) from the following components: – 15 Credits
- Personal Effectiveness (5N1390) – Click here for details »
- Communications (5N0690) – Click here for details »
All participants must have access to a professional Sports & Leisure environment to fulfill the assessment requirements of the course – which is at least 150 hours work experience but we recommend 200 hours where feasible.
This distance learning QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Who should complete this Major Award:
- Sports, Recreation and Leisure Industry workers, gym personnel, fitness workers, healthcare and workers in a leisure capacity requiring a detailed understanding of the Sport and Recreation administration, Organisations and Management, thus enabling best practice.
- Individuals interested in recreation broadly, and organisations and policy in particular, perhaps with an aim towards self-development and personal growth, or with a future career goal within the Recreation, Health and Fitness industry.
- Individuals from a Sports background who wish to gain a greater knowledge of the Recreation facility industry for the purposes of greater understanding of how the industry works and is organised.
- Other learners working towards a major qualification of which Leisure Facility Operations is a component.
- If students are not in a position to secure a Work Placement or have Insurance concerns for the duration required please contact us to discuss further as we may be able to assist students with placements and work place insurance in certain circumstances.
Programme Entry Requirements:
- Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
- Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
- English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
- Students must be working or on work experience in the Sports & Leisure facility throughout their course as they need to fulfil a minimum of 150 hours work experience as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience. The Leisure facility should include a Pool.
- Learners will need to be available to attend Skills Demonstrations days with their Tutors during the course. This is in addition to the work experience above. These skills demo days may be run over a number of evenings or Saturdays and all in a local Leisure Centre. These are mandatory to complete this award.
- Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
- Garda vetting may be required for certain Sports & Leisure placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
- If you take this course by distance learning the course material will be posted to you. You can complete and return assignments/projects which must be typed rather than handwritten either by post or by email.
- If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
- For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
- It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a QQI / FETAC award, or any Sports & Fitness awards, please contact us for details and we will advise you of available exemptions.
- A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations (e.g. Health & Safety at Work or Nutrition Modules) and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration. All assignments will be designed to maximise the individual participant’s skills in their career development. All work submitted must be your own work.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a Verifier with an independent QQI External Authenticator to complete the process.
Progression to Further Studies:
- This course is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g. Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). Options include HETAC Level 7 Diploma’s or Level 8 Degrees in Sports & Leisure. For more details please contact us.
Protection for Learners on this Major Award
As a course provider our policy on the protection for learners is subject to Section 43 of the Qualifications Act. This means that if, for whatever reason, we cease to provide the programme that is over 3 months in duration which you enrolled for, we have specific and legally binding arrangements in place to finish out that programme for you at no extra cost. All course fees for programmes over 3 months in duration are fully protected and secured by a Bond.
If we cease trading those learners who have not finished their programme will be fully protected by this ICPA Bond which will be automatically triggered and the fund that covers all Fees paid by learners will be transferred to QQI by the ICPA to enable QQI provide further study options for these learners or the refund of fees most recently paid so that they can complete their programme and all of this will be at no extra cost to the learners affected.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Sports Recreation and Exercise - 5M5146.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
This Sports, Recreation & Exercise 5M5146 – Level 5 Major Award course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend. The only attendance required will be for Skills Demonstration events run as part of certain modules for example – Exercise & Fitness. These one day events are run throughout the year and are normally held on Saturdays in a Gym/Leisure Facility.
Students can complete this course within 13 months which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.