Print Journalism Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €157.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Print Journalism (5N2152).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- Format: Distance Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €314 or
- Easy Payments: Only €157 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- The course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- acquire the ability to write in different registers
- be able to edit and layout newspaper pages
- undertake research on a given topic
- demonstrate an understanding of political and social affairs both national and international.
Who should complete this course?
- Students who wish to achieve a QQI credit in Print Journalism 5
- Students who wish to complete the QQI Level 5 Certificate in Media Production.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a Nationally Accredited Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
- Writing Skills
- Editing and Sub-Editing
- Journalism (Technology)
- Research Skills
- Politics and Social Affairs.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications, you can use the credit received for this course towards completing the major award in Media Production.
Collection of Work 60%
Collection of Work:
The internal assessor will devise guidelines for candidates on gathering a collection of work that demonstrates evidence of knowledge of topic, research skills and writing skills.
Students will be asked to build a portfolio of their work by completing three assignments to include:
- One news story
- One review
- One feature article.
These should be between approx. 500 words in length and should be written to industry standard. All research should be original and submitted with work.
The project is in the form of a 1,200 word feature article that examines a news worthy global issue. The article should concentrate on a global issue that will highlight your knowledge of current international political and social affairs. This will be accessed under the following headings:
- Topic clearly addressed.
- Well written, good writing style including use of vocab, punctuation and quotes.
- Proof of identification of market and research.
- Proof of editing.
- House style consistently applied.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Print Journalism (5N2152).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This Print Journalism – 5N2152 QQI Level 5 course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.