Exercise and Fitness Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €176.00 / month for 2 months
- The aim of this online QQI Exercise & Fitness 5N2668 module is to teach knowledge and understanding in the field of Exercise and Fitness. The learner will be introduced to the principal theories of planning and evaluating exercise programmes. They will then be expected to apply these theories in a practical fitness instruction context. This will be enabled when the learner has a detailed understanding of human physiology and how the body works during exercise.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this module you will gain a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Exercise & Fitness (5N2668)
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- How is it delivered? Blended Learning course with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- How long is the Exercise & Fitness Course? Students are given ample time (8 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €349 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, Skills Demonstration event, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €176 per month over 2 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided (if applicable).
The aim of this QQI Level 5 Exercise & Fitness 5N2668 module is to teach knowledge and understanding in the field of Exercise and Fitness. The learner will be introduced to the principal theories of planning and evaluating exercise programmes. They will then be expected to apply these theories in a practical fitness instruction context. This will be enabled when the learner has a detailed understanding of human physiology and how the body works during exercise.
The Exercise and Fitness module will provide learners with specific information on how to interact with people in a fitness environment. You will work through these interactions and interventions and understand how these interactions effect change in athletes. The learner’s goal of improving the health and fitness of clients will be underpinned by the practical learning of exercise to music skills, resistance training, circuit training, floor work and flexibility techniques. With this theoretical and practical understanding of Exercise and Fitness the learner will be confident in the application of techniques in a practical fitness environment.
On final and successful completion, the learners will be able to describe how Exercise programmes can effect change in clients. They will understand the key physiological responses to Exercise and understand desirable and undesirable effects of exercise programmes and how to control the environment to elicit the correct response in each circumstance. The learner will need to adapt different theories and interventions to different clients with varying health circumstances to affect these positive responses.
Finally, this module will prepare the learners for the execution of tests and programmes to create a holistic approach to health and sports performance. After certification the learners will be able to carry out exercise progammes while maintaining a safe environment.
The course is ideal for:
- Students who wish to receive an internationally recognised certificate at QQI level 5 in a Sports Environment
- People involved in the Sports and Leisure Industry looking for an understanding of Exercise & Fitness training and its applications in sporting environments.
- Coaches looking to complete a qualification to enhance their learning in the Exercise & Fitness field.
- Athletes and Leisure participants.
This blended learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Project Management Tools and Templates, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
- Unit 1: The Role of The Exercise and Fitness Instructor
- Unit 2: The Exercise and Fitness Instructor and Fitness Theories
- Unit 3: Physiology and Exercise Systems
- Unit 4: Resistance, Circuit, Exercise to Music and Flexibility Training. Developing Training Programmes and Techniques
- Unit 5: Managing Exercise Sessions.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Sports & Exercise) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
There is one attendance day required in Dublin which is normally held on a Saturday in a Gym environment. This attendance day is used to assess the Skills Demonstration element as listed below.
Due to Covid Restrictions this Skills Demonstration Event can be held virtually, so please ask for further details and requirements.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
If required The Open College provides insurance cover for their learners while on placements. Please ask for details.
Skills Demonstration 50%
Examination (Theory-Based) 30%
Skills Demonstration: (Dublin Event) or (Virtual, due to Covid Restrictions)
In one or more skills demonstrations, candidates will be observed demonstrating, as appropriate, personal technique, instructing exercises and safe and good practice procedures in the following areas:
- assistance in field tests to evaluate the health-related components of fitness
- exercise to music
- circuit training and flexibility
- resistance training.
The internal assessor has devised a theory-based online examination that assesses candidates’ ability to recall and apply theory and understanding, requiring responses to a range of short answer
and structured questions. These questions may be answered in different media such as in writing or orally.
The online examination will be based on a range of specific learning outcomes and will be 1 hour 30 minutes in duration.
The format of the examination will be as follows:
- 12 short answer questions. Candidates are required to answer 10 (1 mark each)
- 3 structured questions. Candidates are required to answer 2 (10 marks each).
Candidates will be required to answer in detail an assignment on the Anatomy and Physiology of the systems used in exercise.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Exercise & Fitness (5N2668) from QQI.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards on the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This QQI Level 5 Exercise & Fitness 5N2668 course is completed through Blended Learning with one attendance day in Dublin which is normally held on a Saturday in a Gym environment. This attendance day is used to assess the Skills Demonstration element of the assignments and also to sit the Theory Exam.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.