Infection Prevention & Control Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €98.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Infection Prevention & Control (5N3734).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online eLearning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €195.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €98 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- No classes to attend.
Learners who successfully complete this online QQI Infection Prevention & Control course will:
- understand what the area of Infection Control means and its importance for every member of the Healthcare team
- have a better understanding of the basic principles of infection control and be able to apply standard precautions in relation to infection control
- be aware of the importance of infection prevention and control in providing a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors
- be aware of healthcare-associated infection
- understand their own role in the prevention of the spread of infection.
This online learning, QQI accredited course means that students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
Unit 1: Basic Microbiology
- The infection process
- The chain of infection.
Unit 2: Principles of Infection Control: Standard Precautions and Transmission-Based Precautions
- Standard precautions & transmission based precautions
- Personal protective equipment
- Hand hygiene
- Principles of hygiene
- Terminal cleaning
- Single – use medical devices
- Safe handling of body fluids
- Linen segregation
- Segregation of waste.
Unit 3: Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Healthcare associated infections
- Clostridium Difficle
- Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci
- Blood borne pathogens
- Food Safety.
Unit 4: Health Management:
- The health information and quality authority
- National standards
- Infection prevention policies
- Role of the infection control team
- Uniform Policy
- Needle and sharps prevention and management
- First aid management if injury occurs.
- Notification of infectious diseases and outbreaks
- Travel Associated Infections.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
- Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Students must be working or on work experience in the Healthcare Sector (6-8 hours per week or 30 hours in total) throughout their course as assignments will require learners to draw upon practical experience.
As part of the assessment criteria for this course students’ will need to carry out practical demonstrations, all candidates who enrol for this programme must have the agreement from their supervisor/manager in the work place to oversee their practical work.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Garda Vetting will be required any workplacement within the Care Sector. The Open College is an approved Garda Vetting organisation and can assist with this if required. Please ask for details.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Learner Record 20%
Exam (Theory) 40%
Skills Demonstration 40%
Learner Record: The Learner will be required to write 4 reflective journals, describing specific learning experiences, activities, responses and skills acquired. It will include a selection of evidence arising from candidates work in relation to Infection Control Prevention issues and topics.
Examination: Students will sit a two hour online exam. Four structure questions to be answered out of a possible Six. Each question will carry 10 marks.
Skills Demonstration: Candidates will be observed carrying out a Hand Hygiene related to specific learning outcomes.
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Infection Prevention and Control (5N3734).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This QQI Infection Prevention & Control 5N3734 course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 Weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.