Healthcare Support (Pre Nursing) – QQI Major Award
€1,499.00 — or €125.00 / month for 10 months
- Our online learning QQI level 5 Healthcare Support Assistant Major Award (Pre Nursing) is designed to give those wishing to work in the healthcare system a thorough grounding in the necessary skills. The course is relevant and highly practical, with each module focusing on a specific area of care.
- How is it delivered? Online Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home. No lectures to attend.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this 8 module course you will gain a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support – 5M4339.
- Do you cover insurance? Yes, Student work placement Insurance is covered at no extra cost.
- How long is the Healthcare Course? Students are given ample time (13 months / 56 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €1,160 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees for all the 8 modules. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €125 per month over 10 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Garda Vetting is also provided at no extra cost.
Who should complete this course?
Our distance learning QQI level 5 Healthcare (for Pre Nursing) Major Award is designed to give those wishing to work in the in the healthcare system a thorough understanding of the necessary skills needed to work in the Healthcare sector. The course is relevant and highly practical, with each module focusing on a specific area of care.
This Healthcare (for Pre Nursing) course has been designed in such a way that it offers learners the opportunity for further progression – with consideration to further study and/or work, in the field of Nursing Studies. However, it is important to note that the number of places reserved for 3rd Level University Nursing programmes on the basis of entry for further education credits are limited.
The course aims to:
- Facilitate an understanding of the various needs of client care in relation to maintaining independence, dignity, respect, self esteem and choice.
- Develop communication, intellectual, practical and caring skills which enables the learner to respond effectively and with empathy to the needs of the client.
- Create an understanding of current and emerging legislation that applies to the broad spectrum of care.
- Raise awareness of the need for personal and professional development while working with clients and their families, and as a member of the multidisciplinary team.
Whether planning to work in hospitals, in the community or in residential care, learners will find stimulating and functional modules with knowledge which can easily be applied to the workplace.
Due to our size and comprehensive range of quality QQI Awards, we can offer learners the option to design and study the awards/modules that best suit their learning style and career goals.
Some of the many benefits in studying with us on this course:
- The ability to design a course that best suits your learning requirements and career goals.
- Ireland’s Largest QQI accredited distance learning course provider. All our Awards are Fully Validated & Approved by QQI.
- Unique modules available including Operating Department Care Skills and Activities of Living Patient Care.
- More choice, Innovative Learning approach, High Quality and unbeatable prices – Why Pay more for the same QQI Award!
- All student fees for this Major Award are fully secure and protected by a Financial Bond.
- Easy Payment Plan available on this online Healthcare Assistant course.
- Work placement Insurance is covered by us and at no extra cost.
- Group Discounts Available: Enrol 2+ people, for €1,102.00 per learner (a discount of over 5% per person on existing Special offer price).
- We are an approved Garda Vetting Organisation.
- Options to progress to Third Level University Nursing Courses under the Higher Education Links Scheme.
- Over 11,000 students successfully certified in last number of years.
Flexible Training Solutions for Employees and Employers:
The Open College offers the training in a flexible manner to suit both the needs of the Learner and/or the employer. Courses can be delivered in a variety of ways some of which are:
Part-time mornings, Part-time evenings, Saturdays, Day Release – one day per week, Block release, Distance Learning or Online eLearning. We can also deliver this Healthcare Major award or any of our 20 plus Healthcare modules on-site in Care Facilities.
Modules Required Include:
Mandatory – All of the following components: – 120 Credits
- Care Skills (5N2770) – Click here for details »
- Care Support (5N0758) – Click here for details »
- Personal Effectiveness (5N1390) – Click here for details »
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794)* – Click here for details »
- Work Experience (5N1356) – Click here for details »
- Anatomy & Physiology (5N0749)* – Click here for details »
- Human Growth & Development (5N1729)* – Click here for details »
- Nursing Theory & Practice (5N4325)* – Click here for details »
*Students taking this module will have to sit an online examination – details of which will be sent as each module is completed.
All participants must have access to a professional Healthcare environment to fulfill the assessment requirements of the course – which is at least 150 hours work experience but we recommend 200 hours where feasible.
This online learning QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification. Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (150 hours minimum) within the relevant vocational area. Note: This can be completed near the end of the 13 month programme (Work Experience Module) and other module completion is not restricted.
It is recommended that learners complete a Manual Handling course in conjunction with this course although it is not a mandatory module this is something that employers may look for.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Healthcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
- It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a QQI / FETAC award, or any healthcare/childcare award, please contact us for details and we will advise you of available exemptions.
A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations (e.g. Health & Safety at Work or Nutrition Modules) and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration. All assignments will be designed to maximise the individual participant’s skills in their career development. All work submitted must be your own work.
As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a verifier with an independent QQI External Authenticator to complete the process.
Healthcare Assistants employed by the state sector – e.g. Homecare Support Scheme operated by the HSE.
Healthcare Assistants employed by Agencies.
Employees of registered care settings / private nursing homes who are required to meet the training standards for employment as a Healthcare Assistant.
Those who are on work experience within a care setting who wish to acquire qualifications necessary for employment.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
This course is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g. Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). Options include the QQI Level 8 Degrees in Social Studies in Social Care and Health Promotion and Physical Activity. For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support - 5M4339.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This Healthcare Support 5M4339 – QQI Level 5 Major Award course is completed through Online eLearning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 13 months which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.