Healthcare Support Assistant (General) – Major Award Level 5
€1,499.00 — or €125.00 / month for 10 months
- Our online learning QQI level 5 Healthcare Support Assistant Major Award is designed to give those wishing to work in the healthcare system a thorough grounding in the necessary skills. The course is relevant and highly practical, with each module focusing on a specific area of care.
- How is it delivered? Online Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this 8 module course you will gain a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support – 5M4339.
- Do you cover insurance? Yes, Student work placement Insurance is covered at no extra cost.
- How long is the Healthcare Course? Students are given ample time (13 months / 56 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €1,160 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees for all the 8 modules. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €125 per month over 10 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Garda Vetting is also provided at no extra cost.
Who should complete this course?
Our online elearning QQI level 5 Healthcare Support Assistant Major Award is designed to give those wishing to work in the Healthcare system a thorough grounding in the necessary skills. The course is relevant and highly practical, with each module focusing on a specific area of care.
The course aims to prepare learners for a career both here in Ireland and Internationally by:
- Facilitating an understanding of the needs of the older person in relation to the maintenance of their independence, dignity, respect, self esteem and choice.
- Developing communication, intellectual, practical and caring skills to respond effectively and with empathy to the needs of the older person.
- Creating an understanding of current and emerging legislation that applies to the care of the older person.
- Raising awareness of the need for personal and professional development while working with older people and their families.
Whether planning to work in hospitals, in the community or in residential care, learners will find stimulating and functional modules with knowledge which can easily be applied to the workplace.
Due to our size and comprehensive range of quality QQI Awards, we can offer learners the option to design and study the awards/modules that best suit their learning style and career goals.
We do not restrict and limit learners to set elective Modules and you can choose from 11 elective modules on this Major Award.
Some of the many benefits in studying with us on this course:
- The ability to design a course that best suits your learning requirements and career goals.
- Ireland’s Largest QQI accredited distance learning course provider. All our Awards are Fully Validated & Approved by QQI.
- More choice, Innovative Learning approach, High Quality and unbeatable prices – Why Pay more for the same QQI Award!
- All student fees for this Major Award are fully secure and protected by a Financial Bond.
- Easy Payment Plan available on this online Healthcare Assistant course.
- Work placement Insurance is covered by us and at no extra cost.
- Group Discounts Available: Enrol 2+ people, for €1,102.00 per learner (a discount of over 5% per person on existing Special offer price).
- We are an approved Garda Vetting Organisation.
- Over 11,000 students successfully certified in last number of years.
Flexible Training Solutions for Employees and Employers:
The Open College offers the training in a flexible manner to suit both the needs of the Learner and/or the employer. Courses can be delivered in a variety of ways some of which are:
Part-time mornings, Part-time evenings, Saturdays, Day Release – one day per week, Block release, Distance Learning or Online eLearning. We can also deliver this Healthcare Major award or any of our 20 plus Healthcare modules on-site in Care Facilities.
Modules Required Include:
Mandatory – All of the following components: – 90 Credits
- Care Skills (5N2770) – Click here for details »
- Care Support (5N0758) – Click here for details »
- Personal Effectiveness (5N1390) – Click here for details »
- Safety and Health at Work (5N1794)* – Click here for details »
- Work Experience (5N1356) – Click here for details »
- Care of the Older Person (5N2706)** – Click here for details »
Choose Any Two of the following components: – 30 Credits
- Activities of Living Patient Care (5N3707) – Click here for details »
- Infection Prevention & Control (5N3734)* – Click here for details »
- Intellectual Disability Studies (5N1652)* – Click here for details »
- Nutrition (5N2006)* – Click here for details »
- Palliative Care Support (5N3769) – Click here for details »
- Social Studies (5N1370)* – Click here for details »
*Students taking these modules will have to sit an online examination at the end of the module.
** Note: Learners are encouraged to complete this module (Care of the Older Person) as it is considered to be one of the essential modules for anyone who wishes to pursue a career as a Healthcare Assistant.
However, any learner who is unable to directly care for older people throughout the duration of their work placement, may be allowed to change this module for another from the Elective Components section above. All requests must be submitted to the college clearly outlining the reasons for the request. Learners are advised to choose modules that are suited to their own work experience placement.
All participants must have access to a professional Healthcare environment to fulfill the assessment requirements of the course – which is at least 150 hours work experience but we recommend 200 hours where feasible.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (150 hours minimum) within the relevant vocational area. Note: This can be completed near the end of the 13 month programme (Work Experience Module) and other module completion is not restricted.
It is recommended that learners complete a Manual Handling course in conjunction with this course although it is not a mandatory module this is something that employers may look for.
English Language Requirement: Learners entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Healthcare placements and learners can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Learners must be a based in Ireland and hold an Irish or UK PPS number.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
- It is possible to gain exemptions from certain components of the course. If you already hold a QQI / FETAC award, or any healthcare/childcare award, please contact us for details and we will advise you of available exemptions.
A combination of module appropriate assessment procedures will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes of the course. These methods will include a combination of final written examinations (e.g. Health & Safety at Work or Nutrition Modules) and continuous assessment processes such as assignments, collection of work, learner records, projects and skills demonstration. All assignments will be designed to maximise the individual participant’s skills in their career development. All work submitted must be your own work.
As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, validated by a verifier with an independent QQI External Authenticator to complete the process.
Healthcare Assistants employed by the state sector – e.g. Homecare Support Scheme operated by the HSE.
Healthcare Assistants employed by Agencies.
Employees of registered care settings / private nursing homes who are required to meet the training standards for employment as a Healthcare Assistant.
Those who are on work experience within a care setting who wish to acquire qualifications necessary for employment.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies:
- This course is listed on the Higher Education Links Scheme, and, on successful completion, may be used to obtain access to a course at a higher level (e.g. Level 7 or 8 on the National Framework). Options include the QQI Level 8 Degrees in Social Studies in Social Care and Health Promotion and Physical Activity. For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support - 5M4339.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This Healthcare Support 5M4339 – QQI Level 5 Major Award course is completed through eLearning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 13 months which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.