Care of the Older Person Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €124.00 / month for 2 months
- Award: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Care of the Older Person (5N2706).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online Learning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €245.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €124 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- No classes to attend.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- demonstrate good work practices in the provision of individualised holistic care for older people
- understand the concept of the ageing process
- be able to meet the full range of needs of older people in a variety of care settings
- enhance the quality of life of the older person.
This online learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
- Unit 1: Ageing Process
- Unit 2: Working with the Older Person
- Unit 3: Caring for the Older Person with Specific Needs
- Unit 4: Care Settings.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Skills Demonstration 60%
In one or more skills demonstrations, candidates will be assessed in a broad range of practical skills. Candidates will be observed carrying out specific planned tasks/activities in the workplace, for example an organised event for the client group.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate the following skills:
- organisation and preparation of the tasks, paying particular attention to meeting the needs of clients
- ability to carry out the task
- communication with the client and any other appropriate person throughout the tasks, including the demonstration of consultation with the client and displays of encouragement and empathy
- use of appropriate safety and health practices.
Candidates will submit brief written documentation as part of the assessment, to include:
- a record of how the tasks were planned and carried out
- improvements the candidate could make to task.
The internal assessor will devise a project brief that requires candidates to demonstrate their understanding of older persons with specific needs.
Through the project, candidates will demonstrate:
- understanding and application of concepts associated with caring for older people with specific needs
- use of relevant research and sources of information
- analyse, evaluation, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component in Care of the Older Person (5N2706).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Care of the Older Person QQI Level 5 – 5N2706 course is completed through Online Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.