Palliative Care Support Course (QQI Level 5)
€345.00 — or €149.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Palliative Care (5N3769).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online eLearning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €295.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €149 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- No classes to attend.
This online QQI Palliative Care module is designed to equip the learner with the knowledge and skills of the palliative care approach to enable them to care for the person diagnosed with a life-limiting illness and, in the last days of a person’s life and also his/her family in a dignified and holistic way.
This online learning QQI accredited course means that students can study flexibly at home or at work, while gaining a nationally accredited qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Learners who successfully complete this module will:
- provide holistic care for persons diagnosed with a life- limiting illness and in the last days of a person’s life and also for their families, carers and significant others
- communicate effectively with persons with a life-limiting illness and in the last days of a person’s life and also with their families, carers and significant others
- enhance the quality of life of the person with a life- limiting illness
- recognise and respect the uniqueness of each person’s approach to death
- work effectively as part of the healthcare team.
Topics covered include:
- Unit 1: Working with a Palliative Care Approach
- Unit 2: Communication Skills
- Unit 3: Death, Dying and Bereavement Care
Who should complete this course?
- Students who wish to receive an internationally recognised certificate at level 5 in Palliative Care.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum over the duration of the programme – approx. 4-6 hours per week) within the relevant vocational area.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all Childcare placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies
- This course leads to a Level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 credit towards completing a Major FETAC award in any of the Major awards mentioned below:
Nursing Studies 5M4349
Health Service Skills 5M3782
Healthcare Support 5M4339.
Learner Record 70%
A personal learner record will be compiled by candidates. It will include a selection of evidence arising from work and interaction with others in the area of palliative care.
The learner record may include items such as:
- notes and reflection on interaction with the person with a life-limiting illness and/or family illustrating a range of listening and responding skills
- accounts of how touch and silence are used effectively
- reflections on working with a palliative care approach
- accounts of how various members of the healthcare team work together, including the communication of information to persons with a life limiting illness and their families
- reflections on personal strengths and weaknesses in caring for and communicating with the person with a life-limiting illness and his/her family Names, addresses or information that might identify a particular person or service should not be recorded in the learner record.
The internal assessor will devise a brief that requires candidates to produce evidence demonstrating an understanding and application of a range of specific learning outcomes.
The assignment may focus on a particular palliative care issue or topic, and should include reference to the needs of dying persons and their families. Candidates will demonstrate an ability to investigate an issue or topic, evaluate findings and draw conclusions.
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 Component Certificate in Palliative Care (5N3769).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This QQI Palliative Care 5N3769 course is completed through Online Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.