Legal Practice and Procedures Course (QQI Level 5)
€329.00 — or €165.00 / month for 2 months
- Our online QQI Legal Practice and Procedures course proposes to introduce students to the basic principles of legal practice and procedures. The course will provide the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to appreciate the role of law in vocational and personal contexts.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this module you will gain a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Legal Practice & Procedures (5N1394).
- How is it delivered? Online Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- How long is the Course? Students are given ample time (8 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €329 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €165 per month over 2 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer
- Study from Home – No classes to attend.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Identify the sources Irish law to include an explanation of the features of each source
- Assess the role of the Constitution in the Irish legal system
- Explain the meaning of common general legal terms to include plaintiff, defendant, injunction, in camera and precedent
- Outline the structure of the Irish judicial system to include the hierarchy, jurisdiction and function of courts within the Irish court system
- Outline the role and function of personnel within the Irish legal system
- Explore the impact of European Law on the Irish legal system
- Define the nature of tort to include the recognition between tort and other civil and criminal wrongs
- Describe the proceedings in a Court of law
- Evaluate relevant documents and legislation relevant to a specific vocational area
- Identify the main categories of remedies available to include compensation, injunction, declaration, specific performance and judicial review
- Evaluate the impact of European Law on Irish Law
- Distinguish between civil and criminal, public and private and procedural and substantive law.
Who should complete this course?
- Students who wish to gain a QQI credits in Legal Studies at Level 5.
- Students who wish to obtain a general understanding of legal principles and to enable them to appreciate the role of the law in their personal and vocational lives. It is also intended to prepare learners for employment or further study in related areas.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain an Internationally Recognised Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Irish Legal System
- Unit 2: Sources of Irish Law
- Unit 3: Remedies in the Irish Legal System
- Unit 4: Law of Torts
- Unit 5: European Union Law
- Unit 6: Constitution of Ireland
- Unit 7: Specific Legal Documents and Legislation.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Business) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 credit towards QQI Major Awards in any of the following areas:
5M1997 – Office Administration
5M2009 – Early Childhood Care and Education
5M2102 – Business Studies
5M2110 – Security Studies
5M2111 – International Trade
5M2181 – Applied Social Studies
5M2468 – Business Administration
5M3789 – Legal Studies
5M4468 – Community Health Services.
Assignments (2) 60%
Examination (Theory-Based) 40% – Online
The internal assessor will devise two briefs that require candidates to produce evidence that demonstrates an understanding and application of a range of specific learning outcomes. Each brief will require candidates to investigate topic(s) appropriate to the Irish legal system and in the context of the candidates’ vocational area.
The internal assessor will devise a theory-based examination that assess candidates’ ability to recall and apply theory and understanding, requiring responses to short answer and structured questions. These questions may be answered in Different media such as in writing or orally.
The online examination will be based on a range of specific learning outcomes and will be 2 hours in duration.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Legal Practice & Procedures (5N1394).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price.
This Legal Practice and Procedures also known as Legal Studies (QQI Level 5) course is completed through online Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.