Children with Additional Needs Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €165.00 / month for 2 months
- Award Achieved: QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Children with Additional Needs (5N2396).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 credits.
- Format: Online eLearning course supported with fully qualified tutors & accredited by QQI.
- Course Fee: Special Offer price: Only – €329.00 or
- Easy Payments: Only €165.00 per month over 2 months with our unrivalled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer.
- Course fee includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other hidden accreditation or certification fees to pay!
- Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient.
- Student work placement Insurance covered at no extra cost.
- Garda Vetting Provided.
- No classes to attend.
- Live Online tutor-led support sessions (weekly).
This QQI Level 5 Children with Additional Needs module is designed to enable the learner develop skills, gain knowledge and attitudes necessary to work with children who have additional needs. The learner will gain an understanding of the support needed to ensure children are fully included and integrated in a variety of care and educational environments.
It aims to provide the learner with an understanding of the context of special needs, associated issues and approaches used as well as offering an overview of the legislation and policy development relating to children with additional needs in Ireland today.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Topics covered include:
- History of special needs services in Ireland
- Current legislation summary of main points
- International policy to children with special needs.
- Physical Special Needs – Diagnosis, Treatment, Associated Conditions, Implications for the child and their family.
- Learning Disabilities – Diagnosis, Treatment, Associated Conditions, Implications for the child and their family.
- Language used in relation to special needs.
- What support is available locally and nationally
- The role of the Special Needs Assistant
- Role of the multidisciplinary team
- Description of different learning and therapy programmes
- Key elements – Good practice: Confidentiality & Independence.
Who should complete this course?
- People who wish to pursue a career in Childcare or as a Special Needs Assistant.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
Learners will be required to undertake a practical supervised work placement (30 hours minimum over the duration of the programme – approx. 4 – 6 hours per week) within the relevant vocational area – i.e. Primary Schools or Childcare Facilities for Children with Additional Needs.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Garda Vetting is required for all SNA placements and students can apply for this through The Open College. Please ask for details.
Certain assessments require completion of work, which must be observed and evaluated by a Supervisor, Teacher or Line manager.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
Be competent in both written and spoken English.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 credit towards completing a QQI Major award:
Early Childhood Care & Education
Early Childhood Care & Education
This course is assessed through two Projects which students must complete to demonstrate their understanding of various topics. Learners must complete the following:
- Project 100%
Learners will be required to choose a learning disability they are interested in. They must research this special need in light of issues involved for the child themselves and the family, the educational options available, the treatments available and the responsibility of the government.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Component Certificate in Children with Additional Needs 5N2396.
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This QQI Children with Additional Needs (5N2396) course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.