Social Studies (QQI Level 5)
€345.00 — or €159.00 / month for 2 months
- The purpose of this QQI Social Studies Level 5 award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required for employment in a Social Care Setting.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this module you will gain a
- QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Social Studies (5N1370).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- How is it delivered? Online learning course with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- How long is the Course? Students are given ample time (8 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €314 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €159 per month over 2 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer
- No classes to attend.
The purpose of this QQI Social Studies Level 5 award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required for employment in a Social Care Setting.
It will introduce learners to the area of sociology and social studies and to develop their understanding and awareness of social issues in their own lives and society in general. Learners will develop basic research skills and learn to recognise the complexity of social issues.
- Unit 1: Introduction to Sociology
- Unit 2: Research
- Unit 3: The Family
- Unit 4: Education
- Unit 5: Wealth Income and Poverty
- Unit 6: Religion
- Unit 7: Gender
- Unit 8: Communications (Mass Media)
- Unit 9: Social Issues.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
Students receive a comprehensive Course Manual, Assignments, Efficient Studyguide, and unlimited one-to-one Tutor Support for the course duration.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare/Sports) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment may be necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
If you take this course by eLearning you will need basic IT skills and have access to broadband.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications. Learners can use this credit towards completing the major award in Early Childhood Care and Education – 5M2009.
A project is a response to a brief devised by the assessor. A project is usually carried out over an extended period of time. Projects may involve research, require investigation of a topic, issue or problem or may involve process such as a design task, a performance or practical activity or production of an artefact or event.
Examination – Theory: (online)
An examination provides a means of assessing a learner’s ability to recall and apply knowledge, skills and understanding within a set period of time and under clearly specified conditions. A theory-based examination assesses the ability to recall, apply and understand specific theory and knowledge.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Social Studies (5N1370).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Social Studies 5N1370 (QQI Level 5) course is completed through Distance Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.