Human Growth & Development Course (QQI Level 5)
— or €149.00 / month for 2 months
- Our online QQI Human Growth & Development module aims to introduce learners to human development and behaviour from infancy to old age.
- What QQI award do I receive? On successful completion of this module you will gain a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Human Growth & Development (5N1279).
- NFQ Credit Value: 15 Credits.
- How is it delivered? Online Learning with flexible part-time study from your own home.
- How long is the Course? Students are given ample time (8 weeks) to complete the course and can start it at any time of the year.
- What does it cost? The full course fee is €295 and includes all documentation, lecturing, assessments, learner registration and QQI certification fees. No other enrolment fees to pay!
- There is also an Easy Payment option of – €149 per month over 2 months with our unrivaled Easy Payment Plans. Enrol using your Debit / Credit Card or call us on (+353) 1 206 1828 to avail of this offer
- Study from Home – No classes to attend.
Our online QQI Human Growth & Development module aims to introduce learners to human development and behaviour from infancy to old age.
The module is designed for learners who intend to work in a variety of community/social care settings where frequent demand is made on the individual to relate to people at various levels of personal development and to understand the concepts of mental age and chronological age in order to be able to relate to people at a level appropriate to their needs.
The module is also aimed at learners who wish to complete the Early Childhood Care & Education Levels 5 Major Award (5M2009), Advanced Early Childhood Care & Education Level 6 Major Award (6M2007) or our Healthcare Support Major award (5M4339). This Human Growth Certificate is one of the elective modules for these Major awards.
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- understand the concept of human development from conception to old age
- understand normal patterns of development from infancy to old age
- explore their own personal prejudices, fears and anxieties about working with people in need of care
- develop interpersonal/interactive skills appropriate to responding to the needs of others
- apply skills and knowledge to typical work based problems
- develop self-confidence and empathy in dealing with people.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at any convenient place and time, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
Topics covered include:
Unit 1: Psychology and Childhood Development
Following this unit the learner will gain understanding of:
- Common theories of child development
- Outline the normal pattern of development from conception through childhood to early adolescence with reference to physical, emotional, social and intellectual development
- The importance of secure attachments to the development of the child
- Recognise variations within the normal range of child development.
Unit 2: Psychology and Adolescence
Following this unit the learner will gain understanding of:
- The normal pattern of development in adolescence, with reference to physical, emotional, social and intellectual development
- The factors that influence the personality development of the adolescent
- Issues that arise in adolescence
- Strategies employed to assist adolescents with interpersonal relationships and other problems perceived by the adolescent.
Unit 3: Psychology and Adulthood
Following this unit the learner will gain knowledge of:
- The different stages of adulthood and the normal pattern of development
- The main effects that different goals/motivations have on a person’s behaviour and lifestyle
- Adult needs
- Interpersonal skills
- Death and dying in the context of late adulthood
- Variations of development within the normal range.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites:
Leaving certificate, Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Healthcare/Childcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please ask about our requirements surrounding Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for entry.
Mature students (over 23 years) may be exempt from the above prerequisites.
English Language Requirement: Students entering programmes leading to awards at Level 5 are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
Learners undertaking this programme must have basic IT skills and access to the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake an online programme: computer, broadband, email, Microsoft, recording equipment may be necessary for some skills demonstration tasks, and where applicable any other specialised software/equipment.
As this programme is delivered through distance learning or eLearning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
For more details on participation suitability of this course click here».
Students taking this module will have to sit an examination (€50.00) that is normally held in Dublin but arrangements can be made in outside centres around the country. This can be paid before exam dates and is not required upon enrolment. This exam fee is not covered in the course fee/registration fee.
Students are assessed over the duration of this module as follows:
Assignments (2): 60%
Examination (Theory-Based): 40%
Assignments (2): The internal assessor will devise two briefs that require candidates to produce evidence that demonstrates an understanding and application of a range of specific learning outcomes.
Each assignment will contain sufficient information to provide a natural and realistic description of a client’s situation and needs. The candidate will deliver a response that demonstrates the knowledge and skills required to contribute to meeting the needs of the particular client.
The candidate will identify needs (at least two) which are being met in each situation and explain why this is the case. They will also identify needs that are not being met. The candidate will detail the interpersonal skills required to meet each client’s and will suggest a course of action appropriate to the given situation.
Examination: The internal assessor has devised an online theory-based examination that assesses the candidate’s ability to recall and apply theory and understanding, requiring responses to a range of structured questions.
The examination will be based on a range of specific learning outcomes from all units of the module and will be 2 hours in duration.
The format of the examination will be as follows: 4 structured questions.
Candidates are required to answer 4 (20 marks each).
Pass 50 – 64%
Merit 65 – 79%
Distinction 80 – 100%
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 award towards completing the QQI Level 5 Healthcare Support (Major award 5M4339) or the Nursing Studies (Major award 5M4349) certificates.
- Following successful completion you will receive a QQI Level 5 component Certificate in Human Growth & Development (5N1279).
- QQI (Quality & Qualifications Ireland) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. The Open College is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland. Click here for details of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Click here for more detailed Accreditation information.
- All Registration & Certification Fees are included in the course price. No other fees to pay.
This Human Growth and Development – 5N1279 (QQI Level 5) course is completed through Online Learning and there are no lectures to attend.
Students can complete this course within 8 weeks which is ample time and can start it at any time of the year that is convenient. If students need to extend this period for any reason during or near the end of the course they can request an extension through the college.